Cool Clubs | First Take
With Callaway offering 23 different bounce and loft options, they are truly competing for a bigger piece of the pie in the wedge market. The most important thing we can do as fitters is to make sure the loft AND bounce are correct for your short game. In your scoring clubs, we recommend having 4-5 degrees (max 6) of loft spacing – any more than that and you will have too big of gaps in your yardages.
Turf interaction is key in selecting the correct amount of bounce and type of sole grind. We suggest having at least ONE of your wedges with high or minimum-mid bounce. Afterall, bounce is usually your friend. A good rule of thumb is if you are a digger you need more bounce to help you escape the turf properly. If you are a sweeper you can get away with less bounce.
Selecting the correct grind is also a very important part of the fitting. Thankfully, Callaway offers five distinct grinds in the JAWS wedges. Specifically, the X grind and the W grind have the Cool Clubs fitters very excited. The X grind has a narrow sole but has high bounce, so it’s great for someone who is steep and also manipulates the face around the green depending on the shot. W grinds come in two different styles. The low-bounce W grind – available in 58 W and 60 W and derived from TOUR player feedback – has a wide sole but has low bounce, great for someone who has a shallower club delivery and also has heel relief for those open faced shots around the green. The W grind also comes in a mid-to-high bounce option (12° Bounce) which prevents digging without increasing bounce and keeps the leading edge close to the turf at impact.
Before you go and just buy a wedge, make sure you are in the correct loft and bounce.
Crafted by wedge icon and Callaway chief designer Roger Cleveland, the JAWS MD5 wedges were built for more spin, produced with unique versatility and performance thanks to a tighter edge radius and more severe side-wall angles providing exceptional spin and control around the greens. Here are some of the features of the new lineup.
Innovation is the name of the game in wedge design and JAWS doesn’t disappoint. An extremely sharp edge radius and upgraded Groove-In-Groove tech that places three raised “micro-ridges” between visible grooves increases friction and spin – especially effective from 80 yards and in.
Beautiful Look, Extraordinary Feel
Coming in platinum chrome and tour grey, these premium heads shaped by Roger Cleveland scream quality and superiority while delivering a soft and satisfying feel.
Comprehensive Loft/Bounce Combinations
JAWS MD5 wedges are available in 23 different loft/bounce combinations with five distinct grind options ensuring both steep and shallow paths properly connect with the ball and turf.
- C-Grind: Increased relief, especially at the heel, making it easier to play shots with the face open. Ideal for medium to shallow attack angles and/or firm course conditions. (8° Bounce)
- S-Grind: Medium-width sole with slight camber at the back and moderate heel relief to keep the leading edge low through impact, promoting solid contact on open-faced shots. (10° Bounce)
- W-Grind: Sole is wider at the center and toe, and narrower at the heel, with moderate heel relief and generous front-to-back camber. That prevents digging without increasing bounce and keeps the leading edge close to the turf at impact. Great for open-faced shots and more versatile than the previous W-Grind. (12° Bounce)
- Low Bounce W-Grind: Direct result of Tour player feedback that delivers increased playability around the green while providing moderate heel relief and generous front-to-back camber. Great for playing a wider variety of greenside shots. (8° Bounce)
- X-Grind: Features a narrow, high-bounce crescent sole with the low point near the front. Excellent for moderate to steep attack angles and medium-to-soft course conditions (12° Bounce)
Optimized Head Progression
Forget about jarring club transitions at address. Shaping progresses from traditional shaped lob and sand wedges to a compact player-preferred design in the gap and pitching wedges for a seamless transition into an iron set.
Book your Cool Clubs fitting for Callaway’s JAWS MD5 Wedges
Book a Fitting